Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Serendipity - Now Under New Management!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JWTech, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JWTech

JWTech Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Many of you may have noticed a recent slowing of progress here at Serendipity. This has in part been due to the managing staff's increasing lack of availability. As a final result, funding for the servers had diminished, servers had gone offline, and planned updates had to be put on hold.
    But wait!

[​IMG]

We are pleased to announce that Serendipity will now be continuing operations under the new, community-centric management of staff members from both Serendipity and our long-time friends at the TastyNode Gaming Network, and will be led by sssssss340 and myself as representatives from Seren and Tasty respectively.

In a sense, Seren will begin to become a community that is run "by the people, for the people". This change may seem a bit unexpected, though we feel that this decision is most certainly in the best interest of the Serendipity community we've all enjoyed over the years, and we look forward to welcoming the new management team, and the revitalization of Serendipity that will soon follow.

But what does this mean for us?
    • This change comes with a restructuring of staff interaction that will facilitate quicker updates and improved consistency.​
    • There will no longer be extended periods of time where the decision-making process is halted while waiting for a single person to respond before being able to continue.​
    • There will be more updates, increased transparency between staff and community members, and less of a focus on offering Serendipity as a “product” and instead more as a community project.​

We hope to make Serendipity the best it can be, and we're grateful to have such a wonderful group of people that are so driven to improve our serendipitous little community.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and we'll be answering them here in this thread as they are received.​

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. sssssss340

sssssss340 Developer

FAQ:
    This section will contain answers to the questions asked in this thread.

Ingame items such as Towny and Dimension resets will be unaffected by the change in management, however there will be some changes to these systems with the update to 1.10 and the development of some custom plugins. Updates for specific items will be coming in the future, however feel free to ask more specific questions in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OGMsc

OGMsc Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Woohoo!

• Like Like x 1
  4. NosajDraw

NosajDraw Member

Great news, have been hoping for something new for a while, and here it is :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. power4pi

power4pi Member

What changes can we expect such as servers being removed or changes in gameplay? I'm talking about things like dimension resets and towny etc.

6. Ockman

Ockman Member

Wow thats a bit to take in all at once.
    So is serendipity going to be moving host to tastynode or is tastynode just going to cover it's current hosting cost? I ask because if it is changing hosts can we expect to see the same plugin setup to some extent?
    It sounds like everything else should be comparably similar, but plugins moving between servers as we plan to add 1.10 packs just got me thinking I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sssssss340

sssssss340 Developer

FAQ Updated, feel free to request more detail.

8. JWTech

JWTech Administrator

TastyNode will be providing new server hardware for hosting (the website's already running on our servers as well). The plugins that end up getting used will be mostly up to sssssss340, but we already have fully-built 1.10 configurations available for him to utilize as needed, thanks to the help of some TastyNode affiliates.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NosajDraw

NosajDraw Member

Will the lifetime membership/rank boosts carry over to Tastynode? Serendipity haven't offered them in a while now, but back in the days when they did I bought the top tier (emerald I think), will I get this (or equivalent rank) on Tasty?

10. Ockman

Ockman Member

Can we expect to see a server list with all games tastynode and serendipity have in one place, minecraft and otherwise?
    Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place but I can never seam to find ip and ports for some games tastynode hosts, and I can't find specific (none hub) serendipity ips outside the modpack launcher.

11. sssssss340

sssssss340 Developer

Something like this?

12. Ockman

Ockman Member

Kind of, I know we have Teamspeak, Discord, and the three associated groups minecraft hubs, but we have a few games hosted on the 4 nodes. Is there a list somewhere that shows what games are still being hosted on each node, along with their IP, port number, and password if any.
    For example I know we had an unturned server at one point, but I have no clue which node and what port it's on. and how would people from serendipity for example even know we hosted that game? I don't even know if it's still being hosted or if it was taken down.

13. JWTech

JWTech Administrator

That's more a TastyNode question than Seren-related, but typically the game servers setup with TastyNode are created on the request of a group of members, and often aren't public or are just temporary as people get bored and play a different game. Because of the "ephemeral" nature of these servers, we typically do not add them to the website.

This is something that we will likely change to be front-and-foremost on the Serendipity website. At the moment, that information can be found in the "How To Join" section, though currently incorrect due to the restructuring.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JWTech

JWTech Administrator

15. djman546

djman546 Member

I guess now would be a good time to come back. Been playing on Serendipity on and off for the past 4 years, here we go again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daikaza

Daikaza Member

thats good to hear

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ockman

Ockman Member

Will Serendipity modpacks be on their modpack launcher still? or should I just use ATLauncher since they are the original host?

18. KainArkanos

KainArkanos Member

My biggest question is, are we going to be running the modpacks straight up as they are, all the default mods they have, or are we planning to maybe personalize them a bit and add a mod or two? With Unlimited having been my favorite mod pack following Ultimate, I can't help but feel it'd be a bit lacking if we just ran normal mod packs now with no personal community touches to them.

19. JWTech

JWTech Administrator

At the moment we're going to focus on the servers first-and-foremost, so the Serendipity launcher will be looked into after we're up-and-running again. So ATLauncher it is, for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JWTech

JWTech Administrator

We'll very likely have a custom pack sometime in the future, once we've progressed a bit further with getting up a and running again. For the moment however, the focus will be on the existing modpacks. As for optional mods, while it may be enjoyable for some, it would cause everyone to need to enable the mod before being able to join the server, which often results in far fewer players sticking around.

• About Us

Serendipity Network is an established modded server network tracing its roots back to early 2012. Run by experienced administrators and developers, we are committed to providing a high quality, feature-enriched modded experience to all of our users.
  • Vote Serendipity!

Get awesome rewards on all of our servers when you vote for us! Not only does it only take a moment of your time, it's a great way to support Serendipity!

Vote Now!